After upgrade from 15.11.5 to 16.0,GitLab CE down, cpu 100%

In my case there is Active Directory integration and the LDAP “connection string” to the AD contains an OU (“Organisational Unit”) with an Umlaut.

I’ve now renamed the OU in our Active Directory to not contain an Umlaut anymore.

This Umlaut OU worked flawlessly with GitLab since several years; V 16 broke it.

1 Like

@iwalker : for our configuration, it was here :

gitlab_rails['ldap_servers'] = YAML.load <<-'EOS' # remember to close this block with 'EOS' below
  # [...]
  label: 'LDAP académique'
  # [...]
1 Like

we have an “é” in login button label. guess we could replace it with é I’ll try that tonight

1 Like

oups doesn’t show in html… replace with “and eacute ;”

Could be good to report it as an issue with Gitlab - especially since it used to work fine in previous versions. Could just be a minor regression that needs to be fixed to add that support back in.


for us it was a “§” character in an automatically generated password for ldap binding.

1 Like

For us it was a “ü” and a “ö” in a label for open-id-connect. This maxed out 16 vCPUs and 32GB of RAM resulting in a non-availability of a Gitlab EE system at our university.

Worked flawlessly with Gitlab v15 - please fix.

OK, I’ve created an issue:

Hopefully I did not make too many mistakes when creating the issue. Feedback welcome.


Disable ldap and all is well :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s been over 24 hours but the cpu is still 100%. I also did the security update. There is no change. The application is getting errors in the interface. For example; on board, when issues are opened

1 Like

Check your config file with the following command:

grep --color='auto' -P -n "[\x80-\xFF]" /etc/gitlab/gitlab.rb
remove/replace all found characters

1 Like

Here’s a workaround. Set this in /etc/gitlab/gitlab.rb and run gitlab-ctl reconfigure:

gitlab_rails['env'] = {
  'LANG' => 'C.UTF-8'

A fix is in Fix Sidekiq crash when gitlab.yml contains UTF-8 characters (!121782) · Merge requests · / GitLab · GitLab.


Thanks a lot, Stan!

More debugging insights in rails configuration_file encoding error (#412767) · Issues · / GitLab · GitLab

FYI, Non-ASCII characters (like German Umlauts) in gitlab.rb makes V 16 unusuable (#412832) · Issues · / GitLab · GitLab was closed as duplicate.


Your solution worked!! Thanks a lot! :grinning:

1 Like

Here is a nifty tool to check the upgrade path: Upgrade Path
As far as I saw, you have to first update to 15.11.6, the you can go to V16.

This also worked for me. It brought our VM to an extremely unresponsive standstill for 24 hours.

Until the fix is in place I suggest putting this fix somewhere in the release notes, as I only came across this by chance from a Reddit search.

FYI, fix has been backported, and released in 16.0.2: GitLab Security Release: 16.0.2, 15.11.7, and 15.10.8 | GitLab

1 Like

I have the same problem in LDAP configuration. After remove the non ASCII character it work again.

1 Like

@CaptainsDT Please do not hijack people threads when they have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing. This is the second time you did it now. I’ll request a Gitlab team member to separate your post out again into a separate topic. Only post in someones topic if it is exactly the same problem you are experiencing.

EDIT: seems you have a topic, so stick to it until people reply: gitlab-ce15.10.xRecovery failure rather than hijack other threads unrelated to your problem.