GitLab not running, URL not responding after initial installation

Hi, I just installed gitlab-ee 11.10.1-ee.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, following the instructions at https://about.gitlab.com/install/#ubuntu

The installation seems to run to end without problems. However, I get " This site can’t be reached…refused to connect" in my browser when I try to access the selected URL. gitlab-ctl status runs but produces no output.

My firewall is disabled. SELinux is disabled.

Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation. Here’s some information from my session:

sudo EXTERNAL_URL="http://gitlab.xxxxxxxxxx.com" apt-get install gitlab-ee
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
  gitlab-ee
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 2 not to upgrade.
Need to get 0 B/723 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,930 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package gitlab-ee.
(Reading database ... 244994 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../gitlab-ee_11.10.1-ee.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gitlab-ee (11.10.1-ee.0) ...
Setting up gitlab-ee (11.10.1-ee.0) ...
It looks like GitLab has not been configured yet; skipping the upgrade script.

       *.                  *.
      ***                 ***
     *****               *****
    .******             *******
    ********            ********
   ,,,,,,,,,***********,,,,,,,,,
  ,,,,,,,,,,,*********,,,,,,,,,,,
  .,,,,,,,,,,,*******,,,,,,,,,,,,
      ,,,,,,,,,*****,,,,,,,,,.
         ,,,,,,,****,,,,,,
            .,,,***,,,,
                ,*,.



     _______ __  __          __
    / ____(_) /_/ /   ____ _/ /_
   / / __/ / __/ /   / __ `/ __ \
  / /_/ / / /_/ /___/ /_/ / /_/ /
  \____/_/\__/_____/\__,_/_.___/


Thank you for installing GitLab!
GitLab should be available at http://gitlab.xxxxxxxx.com

For a comprehensive list of configuration options please see the Omnibus GitLab readme
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/omnibus-gitlab/blob/master/README.md

gitlab-ctl status

ufw status
Status: inactive

setenforce 0
setenforce: SELinux is disabled

I got this working. Looks like there were some files from an old installation lurking and this was breaking the installation process. Deleted everything and started again and now I can access the web UI.