TL:DR: Fixed it by renaming .htm files to .html
I’ll leave this here for anyone else who isn’t very good at this stuff. The instructions suck, some steps might be missing and some stuff isn’t clear, but I don’t know if anyone on this website really needs this, I’m sure everyone else is more knowledgeable than I am.
- Open this https://gitlab.com/pages/plain-html and click on the Fork button.
- Upload your stuff, I’m using GitHub for Windows to upload the files https://desktop.github.com/
- Open your Project. Find the SSH dropdown menu located at the center, select HTTPS
- Double Click to select the link, drag and drop the link on GitHub for Windows.
- Select the desired location, move your website in the Public folder, create a commit, then push the Sync button located on the top right.
- Open your GitLab project page.
- Open the gear menu located on the top right, select Edit Project located at the bottom.
- Push Ctrl+F and type Remove fork relationship, then push the Remove fork relationship button.
- Push Ctrl+F and type Rename Repository
- In the Project Name field add YourName.gitlab.io
- In the Path field add YourName.gitlab.io
- Click on the Rename project button.
Replace YourName with the desired name. Can be anything, banana.gitlab.io or just banana.
You don’t need .gitlab.io, you can type any name in it. You’ll have to play around with the link stuff, I didn’t experiment much, this info isn’t accurate.
- Open the Pipeline menu
- Click on the Run Pipeline button, then select Create Pipeline
You need to wait for it to do its stuff.
- Open the gear menu located on the top right.
- Select Pages and check if Congratulations! Your pages are served under: is there.
- If there’s a link try to open it.
Rename .htm files to .html or the website will not load.
Again the instrucitons kinda suck as I wrote this in a rush, but I hope it helps you figure out what went wrong somehow.
You can try this stuff to troubleshoot things around.
I can consistently now get the GitLab Pages to work.
The link is really messy, but it works.
Old Post Below
I have the same issue, I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.
The instructions seriously need to be streamlined and shortened, there should also be a big notice if the whole process is actually just really slow.