Internal API error (429) when pushing to branch or deleting branch - is Gitlab down?

We’ve been facing an error when trying to push from the git CLI client or when trying to delete old branches since earlier today. Here’s an example of me trying to push something:

$ git push -u origin harry-test4
Enumerating objects: 4, done.
Counting objects: 100% (4/4), done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads
Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 270 bytes | 45.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 3 (delta 1), reused 1 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
remote: GitLab: Internal API error (429)
To gitlab.com:travelchime/itineraries.git
 ! [remote rejected]     harry-test4 -> harry-test4 (pre-receive hook declined)

And here’s the result of me trying to delete a branch:

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything we can do to fix this? This only seems to be occurring on our travelchime/itineraries repo, and not some other repos.

I am having the same issue, did you resolve it?

Getting the same error. I even tried from the webui with no luck. Isn’t happening to all repos.

Nope, at first I thought it was because this particular repo was over the 10GB limit according to https://gitlab.com/myorg/myproject/-/usage_quotas but I ran a script to delete old artifacts and bought the space upgrade. I’m still having this problem.

I also contacted Gitlab support about this but haven’t yet received a response.

so mine is working again. Definitely was intermittent. i was able to push a change from the webui and merge a branch to master. It failed like 20 times and then finally passed on the 21st.

Yep, ours is working again too. Don’t know what fixed it - probably just an error on the server’s end.

Myself and colleagues are getting this intermittently. Not clear on any correlation with anything else causing it to happen: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Any ideas on a root cause?

I have been seeing this issue on and off for the last several days. Currently, I am unable to push.

Same problem here! As you guys mention, is intermittent. Currently, I can’t push, very frustrating

Hi folks! I’m reaching out to our infrastructure team since there’s a lot of folks experiencing the same problem. We’ve noticed a few other support related tickets around the same time so I think there may be a wider problem. We’ll try to provide an update should we find more info! Thanks all.

Hi everyone, it looks like this was related to the following production incident:

This should now be mitigated. If you’re still experiencing Internal API error (429) please let us know!

Seems to be working. Thanks!