Failed to upgrade GitLab ee 14.9.4 --> 14.10.X (Docker)

Hi everyone,

We trying to upgrade our GitLab ee docker instance to the latest image (which is apparently “14.10.2” at the time I’m writing thoses lines).

According to the the following upgrade doc, we did the following upgrade path : 13.12.10 → 14.0.12 → 14.1.8 → 14.6.2 → 14.9.0 → 14.9.4 (as you can see, we had to add some versions in between for some reasons).

Right now we’re struggling to upgrade from 14.9.4 to → 14.10.X
Indeed, each upgrade attempts get the following error in the docker gitlab’s logs :

Running handlers:
There was an error running gitlab-ctl reconfigure:
rails_migration[gitlab-rails] (gitlab::database_migrations line 51) had an error: Mixlib::ShellOut::ShellCommandFailed: bash[migrate gitlab-rails database] (/opt/gitlab/embedded/cookbooks/cache/cookbooks/gitlab/resources/rails_migration.rb line 16) had an error: Mixlib::ShellOut::ShellCommandFailed: Command execution failed. STDOUT/STDERR suppressed for sensitive resource Running handlers complete Chef Infra Client failed. 161 resources updated in 01 minutes 44 seconds

Our problem is pretty much the same as the one reported on this post, except we’re running gitlab inside a docker container (not directly on the host machine), which makes the solution difficult to apply in our case…

We tried to update from 14.9.4 to the 14.10.0 version as well as the latest image directly but we had the same result in both cases.

Does anyone had a similar issue or can help us ?

Thanks in advance ! :slight_smile:

Hi @RCandau !

Can you please try the workaround for Docker deployments here and let us know how it goes?: rails_migration[gitlab-rails] action run fails from 14.8.2 to 14.10.0 (Ubuntu 20.04) (#360377) · Issues · / GitLab · GitLab

Hi @gitlab-greg,

Thanks for your quick answer !
I’ll try that workaround at the beginning of next week, I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like


I’m sorry for the late response, we unfortunately had other urgencies to deal with…

I tried to update from the version 14.9.4 to the version 14.10.4 today and it worked perfectly this time, without having to do the workaround that @gitlab-greg linked. In that sense I didn’t try the workaround, sorry about that…

Anyway, my problem seems solved now, the version 14.10.4 seemed to fix it. I was even able to upgrade to the “latest” docker image (15.0.2 at the time I’m writing those lines) without any problem.

Thanks a lot for your help !