- I’m developing code with a bunch of people.
- To communicate, we use a mailing list.
- If people create a MR, pipeline error notifications should be send to the commit author(s).
- After merging to the default branch, possible pipeline error notifications should be send to the mailing list.
I’ve researched this topic and how to achieve this, in a simple, native way within GitLab, but failed to find a solution. Some ideas I had and investigated:
Settings -> Integrations -> Pipeline emails: It seems it’s not possible to filter by branch, which I would need, if I’m not mistaken.
I’ve got a special “bot account”, with the email of the mailing list, which got a schedule associated to build the default branch pipeline regularly. This works as expected, but I would like to run this schedule as well right after merging a branch. Therefore, I thought about using ‘only’ and ‘except’ within .gitlab-ci.yaml, adding another job with just uses ‘curl’ to trigger the schedule of the bot. But how would I define the following configuration:
- Multiple jobs should be run if commit is not pushed to the default branch, i.e. ‘master’.
- These jobs shouldn’t run if merged to the default branch, i.e. ‘master’.
- But these jobs should be run if triggered via a schedule (the schedule of the bot).
The idea is to prevent the jobs being executed twice after merging: Once just by the merge event, notifying the commit author(s), and once for the bot schedule. I would like to only achieve the later.
I hope it’s possible to understand the above and what I’m trying to achieve, if something is unclear, please say so.
Looking forward to your feedback!